Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Hog Hunt

Two weeks ago Dave and Lynn drove down to Miledgeville for an arranged hog hunt. The result of the hunt was two hogs, one smallish and one very big. When he got back to Big Creek he had so much meat to deal with he gave me the belly portion of the hog where you get the bacon from. I salted, sugared, herbed and spiced it heavily, put it in the refrigerator weighted by bags of water to press the excess juice out of it and left it for two weeks. Today we took it out , we sliced it up on my meat slicer and fried some of it up. We had it on fresh made bread with Heirloom tomatoes, Basil and olive oil and it was delicious. Even Dave and Linda thought it was pretty good! This is the first time I have ever made bacon. I wish I had smoked some of it but I did use the liquid smoke and it worked excellently. What fun!

Blog Archive

Followers