Friday, February 5, 2010

Gainesville

This morning I drove over to Gainesville to see Jean and Ellen. We met and had lunch, Jason joined us as well. We ate at a place called Brad's Grill and it was very good. The reason for my trip to Gainesville was to get the 15,000 mile check up done on my car, oil change, tire rotation and all that kind of thing. It was fun seeing Jean and everybody even though it was a short visit. Jean has made a lot of wine and I had a number of bottles to take to him.

It rained all the way over there and all the way back. My little car did pretty good even though it tends to slide around on very wet and slippery surfaces.

As I neared home I passed Hobard's pasture and saw a freshly born calf staggering around near his mother in the lot by the road. I stopped and watched him as he tried again and again to maintain his footing, stand up and walk. Finally he seemed to get the hang of it and eventually looked fairly steady on his feet. He was just too beautiful for words. New life right there in front of me, fresh and perfect in last year's grass and this year's rain. And people all the time ask me, "Why in the world do you want to live up there in the country at Big Creek?"

Blog Archive

Followers